The growth of the Metropolitan Winnipeg area as a whole during the last twenty years or more has occurred virtually in its entirety in the outlying municipalities. Between 1941 and 1956 the City of Winnipeg grew by about 14%. Charleswood in the same period grew by about 111%; Fort Garry by 140%; St. James by 74%; Assiniboia by 67%; West Kildonan by 113%. During the ten years between 1956 and 1966 the central city grew by less than 1%, and actually declined by more than 3% during the last five years of that period. The suburbs, however, continued to flourish, Assiniboia growing by nearly 290% during that ten-year period; North Kildonan by 134%; Fort Garry by 50%; Charleswood by 43%; St. Boniface by 45%, and so on nearly every suburban municipality making very substantial gains while the central city’s growth declined in both absolute and relative terms.
The [XMLmind] in the central city’s population was paralleled by losses in the Downtown. In 1941 Winnipeg’s Downtown* had a resident population of 15,567. In 1966, 25 years later, the population was 8,706. The decline in the population was 44% and it is continuing to decline. In the same period the population of the Metropolitan area grew by just over 68%. But in view of the recognized movement of population out to the suburbs, perhaps this figure, even if disturbing, is not altogether unexpected.